Wednesday, October 12, 2011

FET #2

It looks like we're ready to go...for what I sincerely hope is the last time. My period arrived on Sunday (and I'm using the term "period" very loosely, since I've learned that what happens after a chemical pregnancy bears almost no resemblance to my usual AF visit.) I had to go back to the RE this morning for one final beta test to make sure that my HCG level is down to the negative range. It is (yay?) so that means I'm cleared to start birth control pills again tonight. Here's the upcoming schedule:


October 12 - start BCPs and Lovenox (the shot-free days were nice while they lasted!)
November 7 - take last BCP
November 12 - baseline ultrasound, to make sure lining is thin and I don't have any cysts or anything. Turn in consent forms. Begin meds - Delestrogen, 4 mg every 3 days (unfortunately another big IM needle - but at least it's not every day.)
November 23 - ultrasound to check lining, bloodwork to check progesterone and estradiol. Begin progesterone-in-oil shots somewhere around this time.
November 28 - TRANSFER! The Monday after Thanksgiving.
December 12 - beta test


I'm still feeling very sad about this past cycle. Not knowing why it didn't work when everything looked perfect is really, really hard. At least with our failed FET we knew that the embryos we transferred weren't good quality and there wasn't much of a chance that it would work.  This time everything went so smoothly and all the pieces fell into place. I am definitely glad that we decided to go against our doctor's wishes and transfer two, because if we had only done one I'd be wondering right now if it might have worked had we done two. At least we know we did everything we possibly could. And there is a lot to be grateful for:

1) that we have TEN excellent embryos waiting. That gives me so much hope.
2) that despite having a record-setting 68 eggs retrieved, I only had mild OHSS. No fluid had to be drained. Seriously, that's a miracle.
3) that we have the means to continue treatment. This is not the end of the line.

4 comments:

  1. You guys are so blessed and will have many blessings coming to you! Keeping you guys in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to hear about the last cycle - best of luck with this one, you're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expectations are so hard. How can you not hope? And when you do and everything changes it hurts so much.
    Prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your chemical pregnancy. We went through three miscarriages before finally having our little boy. Our first donor embryo FET was a chemical and I thought it was over with. A few months later, we tried again and it was the one! Good luck to you. If anyone would like to read our story please visit www.ivfsuccessstories.info

    ReplyDelete

Give it to me straight!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP