Tuesday, August 21, 2007

C'est délicieux

It was a gorgeous cool, rainy day today. Such a refreshing break from all the humid heat we get here in August. I made my favorite soup for dinner and thought I'd share the recipe. It's one my mom used to make a lot and I tweaked it when I lived in Frace based on recipes I learned there. To me it is France in a bowl!

Chicken Mushroom Soup

1/4 c yellow onions, sliced
3 T butter
1 lb sliced mushrooms (I use half white button, half baby portabello)
1/3 c flour
4 c chicken stock
1 1/2 c half-and-half
1/2 c dry white wine
4 bone-in, skin on chicken breasts
3 T olive oil
1/4 t tarragon
1/4 t herbes de provence
ground red pepper flakes
salt
pepper

To roast chicken:
Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Put chicken on baking sheet, skin side up. Rub olive oil into skin, and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes until cooked through. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.

For soup:
Sauté onions in 3 T butter in a heavy bottomed soup pot until translucent. Add mushrooms and flour; cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add chicken stock and wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add chicken and spices. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Just before serving add half-and-half. Serve with a crusty baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give it to me straight!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP