Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Weird Pastime #23

I like to look through the Pottery Barn Kids catalog and see what baby names are inscribed on things, and therefore trendy enough to cross off my list for future children. (Not that there's anything wrong with having a trendy name, I just don't want to give my kids one.) I look at the furniture too, but let's face it, I'm way too cheap to actually order anything from there. We got our current bed* on Craigslist. And it was originally from Ikea.

Here are some of the names in the most recent edition:

Dylan
Brooke
Aaron
Laura
Oliver (a name I can't hear without thinking "Well 'ello guvnah!")
Taylor (for a boy)
Hannah
Callie
Matt
Caroline and Mary (these two were on the same page, which is funny since those are my nieces' names)
Nathan
Andrew
Avery
Carson
Randy (really? Randy?)
Allie
Madison
Devon (for a girl)
Cody
Stella
Gavin
Marissa
Sadie
Chase
Tristan
Claire
Meghan

I really like some of those names, despite their apparent trendiness. But I'm glad there are no Sawyers. I have met two different little Sawyers at Target (thankfully both boys) in the past few months, so I'm afraid it's becoming more popular. But as long as he's not one of 4 Sawyers in his kindergarten class, I don't really care that much. There is such a thing as having a name that is TOO unique. If our only requirement was that he never meet someone else with his name we would have dubbed him Dweezil or Moon Unit (except, oops, both of those are already taken.)

*Just the bed itself, not the mattress. I'm not that cheap.

5 comments:

  1. Mason isnt on there either, thats always nice. Thanks for the heads up on the names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOL when you mentioned Randy. that is too funny! It's sad to me that the last time I heard the name Chase was growing up in my home ward. After Chayce was born, I found 3 of my neighbors have nephews named Chase, and a lady at costco overheard me trying to calm him and said her baby was named Chase too. Also, a girl on Fertilityfriend June moms board has a baby a week younger named Chase as well. SO Sad! I was under the impression that it wasn't super popular. Same thing with Landon though. After I named him that, I found I was hearing it a ton more! That is why we spelled it differently, so we could at least be a little unique.
    I love to look at those catalogs for decorating ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In an attempt to avoid anything too trendy, I've been checking catalogs too! But luckily I haven't seen any Wolfgangs. Just kidding, we're not that mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh - We tried so hard with Ethan and Avery and then they became super popular after the fact. We knew Olivia was popular going in!

    Still haven't seen another Tiburon though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew... I was expecting all 3 of our names to show up on that list! I'm quite sure I've seen Lily, Anna AND Sam in that catalog at one time or another!!!

    ReplyDelete

Give it to me straight!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP