Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Triggering

Apparently my ovaries didn't get the message that I always do the least amount of work possible, because they are being little overachievers again. You know something's happening when the nurse looks at the ultrasound screen and says "Holy crap!" Dr. K was quick to reassure me that this is a good thing, much better than the alternative of not being responsive enough. At this morning's appointment we were still on track for triggering Thursday and retrieving Saturday. But then my E2 level came back at 5347 - a big jump from yesterday. So I'm triggering tonight with a nice big Lupron shot, and retrieval will be Friday at 12:30. We're scrambling a bit with our schedules (mostly figuring out how to get Sawyer on and off the bus) but it will all work out.

The one down side - because of the high risk of OHSS I can't have the shot of HCG they usually do after retrieval for luteal support, so instead of progesterone suppositories I have to do progesterone-in-oil shots. Nooooooooo!!! I was really hoping to avoid those this time, but the nurse said if I get a positive pregnancy test we will probably be able to switch to the suppositories at that point, so I'll hold on to that hope.

I'm supposed to trigger at 12:30 a.m., which is WAY past my bedtime these days so I'm going to have to set an alarm to make sure I don't sleep through it. Eric is coming home from a business trip tonight but it's likely that he won't be back in time to do the shot for me, so I'm probably going to have to do it myself. I'm good with the little sub-q needles, but the intramuscular ones are a whole different story. Wish me steady hands and nerves of steel.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck tonight, Chelsea! Let me know if you need any bus help on Friday. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are strong! You can do it! Not sure I could. Best of luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO IT IN YOUR UPPER ARM!!! I had to do my own and since that's a muscle I was allowed to do it there, it worked perfectly! Just hold your fist straight out and turn your arm arm in to the left/right (im left handed so I turn my right arm in towards my left) and use that upper muscle. I have done this twice with no problems! Good luck praying maturing vibes and lots of great eggs for you! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, good idea! I'll remember that if there's a next time. Thankfully E got home at 12:28 last night, just in the nick of time! I barely even said hi, just handed him the needle and bent over. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brandi! :)

    Marie, thanks so much for the offer - I just might be calling you today!

    ReplyDelete

Give it to me straight!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP